Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Black Magic and a Butterfly

Greetings - I was going to be more active here this year, only once again life has intervened - including an altercation with a knife while cutting pumpkin..


I spent some time early in the year experimenting with the technique called black magic, that was one of the first things I saw when I 'found' Splitcoast Stampers some four years ago.

This card was made from one of the results, the image being cut with a Spellbinders Nestabilities oval and mounted on a scalloped oval.



There are two dp's, both of which came in random packs from the local Warehouse (think K Mart in the USA).


The butterfly was cut using a Cuttlebug die and embossed in a matching folder. I used two layers to give the colour some 'strength' as the vellum is quite pale.


After mounting it I added pearls for more dimension and interest.

The sentiment was embossed directly to the dp, and more pearls to the top corner.

I am linking this to:

Thanks for calling by - may your day be blessed.  
Mine is when I know you have visited and especially when you comment.

8 comments:

Kary said...

Hi Maxine! Hope you are ok. Sweet card, love the vellum butterfly. I must try the black magic technique sometime.
Plus, congrats for winning the stamps at The Craft's Meow!! ;)

Amy said...

I love the detailing in the background on this one (the little squares)! Hope the cut was not too large or deep?!?
Amy

Lovely Linda said...

Hello Maxine - I am sorry to hear about your cuttung experience - I hope you are well on the road to recovery!! I love this technique - and you seem to have mastered it beautifully! Gorgeous image and I love the colours you have used - seems nothing holds you back my friend! Love it! {{{hugs}}}

lalkygirl said...

beautiful card maxine,i love the butterfly ,so pretty and delicate,thanks for joining us at ooh la la and good luck
tracey x

Wendi said...

What a beautiful card I love the butterfly gorgeous
Thank you so much for sharing with us at ooh la la this week
Wendi

Nikbee said...

A beautiful card. I love the image. Thank youf or joining us at Incy Wincy.
Nikki F x

Tameko said...

Such a beautiful card. I love the black magic technique.

Melisa Waldorf said...

I seen this technique in a UK magazine I picked up. I love it! I will have to find that article. I think it just looked a little intimidating knowing where to use the white marker to me to make it look good. You have done this technique beautifully!